Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions from our clients and their families concerning our senior care offers. These questions help to alleviate concerns for aging parents or loved ones, and give insights into exactly what we can do for your family. If you don’t see your question listed below, please contact one of our Care Managers for more information.
What is home care?
In-home cares gives senior patients in southern New Jersey the one-on-one assistance they need in the comfort and serenity of their own familiar surroundings. This allows them to maintain their quality of life and independence. It also increases their safety, health, happiness, and gives them help with important daily activities, such as bathing, meal prep, laundry, and others.
My parents are reluctant to accept home care. Now what?
Convincing older adults that they need help at home can be a daunting task. At times, they will complain about the possible loss of their independence, and the loss of control of their own future. However, with in-home care from Home Care Assistance, the opposite is generally true. Our services help them maintain their independence because we put them in control of their decisions. If there is a crisis (a fall, dehydration, severe UTIs, etc) we can help them find someone on their side to make the right decisions for them and help them and their families achieve essential peace of mind.
Additionally, Home Care Assistance has some ideas to help you try and talk them through a process that is, overall, the best option for them in their old age:
- Try on a temporary basis: Tell them they don’t have to make permanent plans. They can meet their caregiver and see how nice it is to have someone there to help them out with things.
- What’s in a Name: Reinvent the “caregiver” into someone else. Perhaps they are your loved one’s “personal assistant,” their “housekeeper” or their “personal chef.”
- Simply meet with our owner: Once your loved ones meet with the owner, speak to him, and understand what our company stands for, there’s a great chance they won’t be apprehensive anymore. We share their goals of staying in their home and remaining in charge of themselves.
Who pays for home care?
Services like ours are not covered by any sort of government subsidy or program. It is paid for out of pocket by individuals and their families. We also work with some forms of insurance, but it varies on a case-by-case basis.
Why should I use a company rather than hire a caregiver on my own?
Here are a few reasons:
- We do all the screenings and background checks for you. We are the supervisors for all of our personnel, and we hold to the highest standards of care. This alleviates any responsibility on your part, and lets you focus on more important aspects of your loved ones well-being.
- We find all the replacement personnel for you if one of our care givers has to call in sick or must leave town to care for their family members. You never have to take care of your loved one yourself, as we’ll handle all the details should that situation arise.
- The caregivers from Home Care Assistance are our employees. That means we take care of all of their tax paperwork and their Worker’s Compensation. There can be injuries in this line of work, and you don’t want to be the one providing compensation should a caregiver file a claim.
- When our caregivers work with your loved ones, they are working under a carefully mapped out plan developed by an expert in that field. They have supervisors to whom they make reports, and work in tight coordination with our company. We maintain the highest levels of quality care through our professional management, and you can always trust in that.
- Finally, and we think most importantly, when you hire us, you’re getting an entire team of dedicated professionals to see to your loved ones’ specific needs. We’re in it for the long haul; developing close relationships and anticipating what needs to be done!
What is unique about Home Care Assistance?
We get asked this question a lot, and we always give the same answer. It has to be our approach to home care. We don’t simply “babysit adults” and we are not housekeepers, solely. Home Care Assistance is a company of trained and dedicated professionals who ensure high-quality, personalized, on-going health care and management for seniors in southern New Jersey. We are recognized as one of the most effective providers of that care, and come to every case with the best experience and well-planned programs too.
Additionally, Home Care Assistance specializes in live-in care, and makes the best alternative to senior living facilities and nursing homes. Consistency, screening systems, our Balanced Care Method – all of these proprietary things are components to our success. To put it quite simply, we are the best in the business.
How do you choose caregivers?
Home Care Assistance has the unique ability to match the right caregivers to the right clients, each and every time. After an initial meeting, our Care Manager has an excellent idea of the right candidate, and an excellent idea about the kind of personality that would be a good fit. The Care Manager will then collaborate with the team members as part of our personalized, committed “matchmaking” process. Best of all, if at any time, as our client, you want to get a new caregiver, we’ll be happy to arrange that switch for you!
Do I have to sign a contract?
No. We do not make our clients sign contracts. We do offer service agreements that spell out all of the expectations we have for our clients, and for ourselves, but we NEVER require long-term contracts. We want you to use our services only if you are 100% satisfied with your initial meetings and care. We also encourage seniors who aren’t sure if we are the right fit to use us – if only for a month – to see if we have value to them. That is the best way we develop all of our relationships.
Does home care have to be at home or in home?
Our mobile caregivers go where they are needed. Home Care Assistance provides top-quality one-on-one services to seniors in southern New Jersey wherever they are. Hospitals, nursing care facilities, assisted living communities, in their own homes – we ensure the best hourly or round-the-clock care and companionship in an environment that is best for our clients. We can even go on vacation with you!
Will the caregiver move in to the senior’s home?
Caregivers do stay in our clients’ homes, yes. However, it is only for the duration of their shift. Home Care Assistance caregivers must maintain their own separate residence and are not allowed to stay with their senior patients without the permission of that patient. They also may not have visitors or family members with them while they are working.